Controlled Burns


Please be aware that the State of Arizona DOES require you to obtain a burn permit for controlled burns in the state. The application can be completed on the Burn Permits page.
Permits are free and valid for one year from the date of issue.  It may take as long as 24 hours to receive your permit, but is usually done in less than an hour. All paperwork connected with a burn permit, including rejected applications and no answer/no email to contact attempts, are subject to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and applicable court orders.

Please see below for other information regarding open-air burns in the St David Fire District.
  • You MUST submit the application to the state or district and get your permit prior to burning. Please keep this document with you while burning as you may be required to present it at any time on request by SDFD or Department of Environmental Quality personnel.
  • We ask that you notify the Benson Dispatch Center (call 520-586-2211). Please report your name, your phone number, the location of the burn, the time you're starting the burn and call again when the burn is complete
  • You must have an adequate water source or other means to extinguish the fire nearby and you MUST remain on site to monitor the burn until it's completely out.
  • If the area or brush pile is large, the fire department will make arrangements to have an apparatus and crew on site at no charge to conduct the burn. If in doubt, please ask, we'll be happy to help!
Be aware that you are financially and legally liable for any costs and/or damages associated with an illegal burn per state regulations.
Should the department have to respond to extinguish an illegal burn, you can be charged as much as $2000 by each responding agency for personnel and equipment as well as any additional fines levied by the state or county.

Please contact us if you have any questions.